I haven’t come across any one who doesn’t like muffin.They are just like cakes but baked in small portions. Previously when they started baking muffin in Uk they used yeast. so Muffin was like a small portion of bread then. Now a days, baking powder is used as per American way of making muffin. The main difference in muffin and cup cakes is the sweetness. Cup cakes are normally sweeter than the muffins.
How about making whole wheat banana muffin today? I like to make food healthier as much I can so that we can enjoy the food with less guilt. So instead of using all purpose flour we will be using
whole wheat flour . I used normal chapati flour.
Instead of white sugar you can use Muscovado sugar which is unrefined form of Sugar.
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour sifted(Chapati floor)
- 2 Bananas mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar/ Muscavado sugar/ light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil (I used sunflower oil) can use Canola oil as well.
- 1 tsp vanila Extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon(optional)
- Preheat Oven to 180 deg C or gas mark 4.
- Line 12 muffin cup with paper liner. If you dont have paper liner , butter the muffin tray.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients like flour, baking soda, baking powder,cinnamon except sugar.
- In another bowl add all the wet ingredients like, Mashed bananas, milk, oil, Vanila extract with sugar. Mix it well and then add this wet mixture to the dry ingredients bowl.
- Fold the mixture lightly with a wooden or silicon spatula. Don’t overdo it.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin cups using ice cream scoop. You can use a normal spoon but ice cream makes this job easier.
- Bake it for 20 minutes on the middle rack of the oven.
- Do the tooth pick test before taking out the muffins from the oven to make sure they are perfectly baked. Insert the tooth pick into the muffin and if it comes out clean , then muffin is ready!
A great breakfast for all of us!